What Do You Do If You Can’t Pay Your Parking Ticket?

Nothing is more irritating than walking up to your car and seeing a parking ticket on the windshield. We’ve all been there. The only thing worse is when the ticket is due in a few days and you don’t have the money to pay it. Then you really start to regret not paying attention to the parking signs. If you pay late you will get charged serious late fees and can even end up in court. So what do you do?

Option #1: Ask the city or town for an extension or hardship waiver

Some cities and towns will allow you to extend the amount of time you have to pay. Some will even will lower the amount of the ticket if you can show that you don’t have the money to pay the ticket. This is called a hardship waiver. They way to do this is different in every town and city. So, you will want to find the website for parking enforcement agency listed on your ticket and find a phone number to call. Then, ask them if there is a way to get an extension or get a hardship waiver.

Option #2: Borrow money from family or friends

The next best option is to borrow money from family or friends since they probably won’t charge you any interest. The downside here is that it is embarrassing to borrow money from friends and family. This is especially true if you have to borrow from a family member you have a strained relationship with. If you do borrow from friends or family be sure to pay them bask as soon as you can. I once borrowed money from a cousin and forgot to repay him for a few months after I said I would. There is still some tension to this day about it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *